Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Africa and Morocco

 
Here I am on the ferry crossing the strait of Gibraltar. That "rock" in the background is the Rock of Gibraltar, a British possession (and city), and one of the two pillars of Hercules marking the end of the peninsula and the beginning of the Mediterranean from the Atlantic (symbolically). The tradition states that Hercules had to venture this way on one of his tasks, and this is where he stepped foot on the peninsula.
 
I have now reached Africa and Morocco. This me getting off at the port and onto my fourth continent. Here in Morocco is the other pillar of Hercules (I took a picture but it did not turn out).

Our first night in Morocco we stayed in a small city outside of Tangier. As you can see from this view from my window, it was beautiful, with all of the buildings painted white with blue trim. I learned that they put limestone in water, boil it and break it down and then use that to paint their house white, and they add colors to make it blue. The entire coastal part of the city was like this, it was marvelous. Also, our hotel was right on the beach of the Mediterranean, so after I checked in I went out and took a dip. Now I have swam in the Mediterranean on two different continents!

No comments:

Post a Comment